I have always loved the idea of smoothies for breakfast, feels very virtuous and it’s easy to have on the go. My morning routine is pretty tight, so more often than not I don’t end up eating breakfast until I sit at my desk, which is usually a good 2 hours after I get up. I once read that you should eat breakfast within 1 hour of getting up to successfully kick start your metabolism.
I am never that hungry when I first wake up, if I eat around 9am I will then still be hungry at 11am – go figure? So what I needed was something I could drink while getting ready but would be substantial enough to keep me full until lunch, no easy feat.
I essentially made up this recipe after some googling and Pintrest research I had done, it doesn’t follow one set recipe but it seems to be working!
- One banana (I have been making this for hubby and he has two – it’s totally up to you!)
- 2 Tablespoons of Ready Brek (Yes this is for kids but I hate lumpy porridge so I find this is so much better!)
- Squeeze of honey – I prefer to acaci type and the squeeze is as big or little as you like!
- Cinnamon – Again this is a personal preference but be careful – if you put in too much it makes for a bit of a medicinal taste!
- 2 Tablespoons of Peanut butter OR almond butter (I prefer peanut butter, hubby prefers almond!)
- Top up with Almond milk – sure you can do regular soya, coconut or even regular milk but I like the nutty edge you get with almond milk.
It is as simple as putting into a smoothie blender and off you go – one thing I will say is we don’t use a Nutribullet – mostly because I can’t justify the price so we bought active blend from Amazon online. What is great is, like the Nutribullet you still put the blender on as the lid to blend but with the active blend you get 4 bottles (2 big and 2 small) and its really compact for about 1/3 of the price!
We put in all the ingredients into MyFitnessPal and it looks like it comes out at around 250 – 300 calories a serving (depending on the nut butter and type of milk etc.) – but what you are getting is fruit into you and good healthy nut proteins to keep you full – it’s a real winner in our book!
Give it a try & enjoy!
Little Lemon x